UCYPAA Meeting Notes
With Bid Requirements 10.04.22
Present: Jen B, Diana S, Alex K, Brian B, Lisa C, Clara H
Using Anna’s Zoom. She will see how to allow someone more permanent access to zoom hosting and get back to us.
- Finalize Bid Requirements and talk next steps
Notes on Report:
- Jen B presented Bid Requirements: Bid requirements language taken from several other groups and consolidated in a document. ICYPAA Bid requirements possibly too old to use. Do we want to have Host Committee requirements? UCYPAA historically a camping conference, not requiring it to be a camping conference as noted in document. Run through of Bid requirements with discussion. Please see Bid Requirements at the bottom of this document.
- Lisa: Additionally, event insurance may be required if hosted at a hotel.
Alex K: Jonathan hopefully to add Alex as admin on Facebook group UCYPAA (possibly under SALTYPAA). Will receive further info.
Bid Requirements Passed unanimously.
- Diana to send to UCYPAA Committee Group Me – Meeting notes and Approved Bid requirements.
- Alex to later post Bid Requirements to Website for accessibility purposes.
- Alex to appoint moderators on FB and pare down current moderators. Clara will be a moderator.
Jen B: Idea for UCYPAA to host the first conference and invite future bids at and after the first conference. Group agreement. Clara motion that Advisory Hosts UCYPAA conference in May. Brian Seconds. Group Agrees. Memorial Day weekend idea thrown out but some conflicts. Will come back to date. Tentatively looking in Spring/May. KOA campground with Cabins/Commuter Hotel Option nearby is a possibility… Group ideas: Moab in May. Jen: Kodachrome near Bryce?
To note: SNOWYPAA is in February
Next UCYPAA Commmittee meeting is in 3 weeks for a formal brainstorming session on where to Host. Bring ideas for possible event spaces. Jen will submit Host requirements for discussion at next meeting. Meeting is October 25th at 6pm on zoom.
TXSCYPAA HOST REQUIREMENTS for reference.
OUR CURRENT BID REQUIREMENTS (Passed today)
Committee Review on 10/4/22
- Three AA people under 40 years of age with a minimum of one year of sobriety must represent the bidding city. They may be accompanied by supporters of any age. Provide a roster of committee members including name, age, sobriety date, and service resumé.
- Include commitments from at least two appropriate facilities so sized as to be able to accommodate the entire conference. The facility commitments should include proposed dates, room rates, room block, sliding scale, food and beverage prices, coffee prices, parking fees, electrical charges, taxes and service charges. Also include a diagram of the facilities, functions, and meeting spaces with their respective capacities. All costs related to the facility, both to the Committee and to the attendee, must be outlined.
- Provide at least two quotes for audiovisual equipment and services that coincide with the committee’s tentative conference program, budget, and dates at each facility. AV bids must include line-item costs of equipment, labor, and transportation.
- Prospective bidders will be required to demonstrate financial autonomy and responsibility within the traditions of AA as a whole, being directly involved in any activity from which funds are appreciated.
- Produce a concise summary of research on local tax/business laws applicable to UCYPAA should the committee be awarded the conference.
- Bid Committee will have a minimum of one fundraising event(s) as a Bid Committee. The bid package will contain a description of each event and the income raised from those events. Show how these events support the legacies of recovery, unity, and service.
- Provide detailed financial records from all committee activities.
- The new host city must agree that all proceeds that support UCYPAA seed and prudent reserve, are to be turned over to the UCYPAA Advisory Council for their disposition. Excess funds beyond the required seed amount may be distributed to AA intergroup, district, area, and general service office as the host or bid committee sees fit.
- Present a list of large-scale AA activities scheduled to take place in your bidding region near the proposed conference dates.
- Statements of support from the AA district chairman and the intergroup secretary, or similar counterparts, must be submitted with bid.
- Bidders must provide a tentative outline of the conference program.
- Develop proposed conference theme and graphics for conference outreach material. Present a temporary pre-registration flyer with the website, email, and mailing address. It must state that the conference dates and location are TBD. Mailing address should be a permanent mailing address.
- Detail the committee’s efforts to engage in AA’s legacies of recovery, unity and service
- Bidders must provide a concise statement illustrating the need for this conference in their area as they understand it.
- A finalized bid package must be provided to the Advisory Chairperson in PDF format no later than seven days prior to the start of the Bid Presentations.
- Give a presentation to the Advisory Committee detailing why your area should host the next conference. Have all members on Bid Committee prepared to answer questions from the Advisory Committee. The presentation is to be 7-10 minutes long followed by question and answer up to 30 minutes per bid.
The following is a suggestion by the Advisory Council and may be considered by the Bidding Committee:
- Experience has shown that the months of May, June, July, and August are good months to host a Young People’s Conference. The long holiday weekends have allowed extra time for the conference.
- Experience has shown that a camping type conference has been successful for UCPYAA but is not required.
- Bidders are encouraged to submit their bid packages for feedback, in full or in part, at any time during the bid year. The deadline for receiving feedback is one month prior to the Bid Presentations. Committee will respond with feedback no later than two weeks prior to Bid Session.